Easy vegan, raw pesto
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 bunches of green onions
- 1/2 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches of basil
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 2 bunches of dill
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
Process ingredients in a food processor in order of hardest to softest, starting with green onion and red onion. Scoop into jar and seal and store in refrigerator for up to four days.
Add a different twist to your pesto with the following ideas:
- Blend in sundried or oven roasted tomatoes.
- Blend in roasted red peppers.
- Blend in fresh strawberries.
- Grate in a touch of lemon zest and lemon juice to taste. Swap half of the olive oil for truffle oil.
- Change up the proportions of the greens, putting more basil for a basil pesto, etc.
- At the end, blend in 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds for a different flavor and some crunch.
Ideas for adding pesto to foods
- Use as a pizza sauce in lieu of tomato sauce.
- Use as a sandwich spread.
- Spread on toast, a scone or an English muffin
- Use in a pasta dish as the sauce.
- Mix into rice and veggie dishes.
- Drizzle over top of roasted root vegetables.
- Scoop inside a roasted potato for a flavourful twist.
Carmen Scott is a registered holistic nutritionist in British Columbia.May 21, 2018