Do you have chronic fatigue?
All these symptoms or conditions can have a root cause. The culprit is often candida albicans or the layman's terms yeast or fungus.
Candida albicans is a pathogen that can accumulate in the body due to:
- the overuse of antibiotics
- consumption of sugars
- the use of NSAID's (Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin, Motrin, etc.)
- chronic stress and high levels of circulatory hormone called cortisol.
- drinking fluoridated water, exposure to environmental toxins – herbicides/pesticides
- Aspartame – We always suspected that this artificial sweetener was toxic but now we know why; It kills friendly bacteria just like an antibiotic.
If you have systemic candida infection you also have leaky gut syndrome. Leaky gut is caused by not having enough friendly bacteria in the gut. The number one cause of leaky gut is the over use of antibiotics. One five-day antibiotic treatment will destroy all your friendly bacteria. I always tell my patients when they get on a scale to subtract six pounds because that is how much friendly bacteria you should have in your body.
Candida albicans often gets passed through the placenta from mother to child. For example, I often see babies who are colicky or who have eczema and psoriasis or thrush. More often than not mommy was on antibiotics even up to a year before pregnancy. Mommy gets candida and then passes it on to her babies.
Side effects of candida over growth
- Candida or yeast triggers intense cravings for sugar, pastries or chocolate. I always tell my patients if they have candida, "Don't feed the bears" - in otherwords, don't feed the candida – it loves sugar and white flour.
- Candida hinders the thyroid and therefore can really make you sluggish.
- Candida causes the body to release inflammatory cytokines causing joint pain, aches, etc.
- Candida suppresses the adrenal glands.
- Candida causes bloating.
- Candida causes malabsorption syndrome which often gets misdiagnosed as food intolerances or allergies.
- Candida often causes the skin to develop unexplained rashes or sometimes even hives. I have never seen a case of eczema or psoriasis where the patient didn't have a major candida infection.
An Italian oncologist Dr. Simoncini believes that all cancers start with candida infection. He has examined thousands of biopsies and without exception has seen candida every time. Completely eradicating candida albicans takes several months; even up to one year in severe cases.
Treatment plan for Candida
- The use of broad spectrum probiotics for several months. Broad spectrum means that the probiotics complex has at least 10 different strains. Read the label to ensure the following strains, which are very important to candida, are in the probiotics. These are Lactobacillus rhamnosus and lactobcillus reuteri.
- Use oil of oregano on a regular basis. Oil of oregano is a powerful anti fungal. A good way to use oil of oregano is to put it on your toothbrush then put toothpaste on top of it. Brush teeth and gums vigorously twice daily.
- Spices like turmeric, curry and thyme help to kill candida.
- Extracts like black walnut, olive leaf and goldenseal also kill candida.
- Avoid sugar. Limit fruits as much as possible.
- Conventional pharmaceutical treatments for candida are effective in the short term, but cause long-term side effects like decreased immune function and possible serious liver issues. These prescriptions medications should rarely be used.
Dr. A. W. Martin D.C, PhD, RNCP, DNM. Clinical Nutrition, is Clinic Director of the Martin Clinic in Sudbury. He is the author of several books including his new release "Eat Fat, Get Lean". He is the host of "The Doctor is In" syndicated radio show throughout Northern Ontario.