Superfood rice bowls
With our long winters and seemingly short summers we want to spend as much time as possible outdoors during the summer season, instead of our kitchens, which is why I love rice bowls as a simple dinner idea.
It’s the easiest dinner idea ever, and can be tailored to your own taste buds, and even those of finicky family members. They can also be prepared in advance and they will keep in the fridge for a few days, making yummy leftovers for lazier days when you just don’t feel like cooking. What’s more, by adding toppings of your choice, they become nutritional powerhouses.
Prepare rice according to directions. Organic brown basmati rice is my favourite. Prepare ahead of time if desired, then just reheat. Simply prepare the rice, add the toppings, then drizzle with dressing. My favourite dressing is the lemon tahini one, but you can use whatever dressing you prefer.
Lemon tahini dressing
(keeps in fridge for 10-14 days)
- ½ cup of olive oil/li>
- ½ cup of lemon juice (I keep a bottle of organic lemon juice in the fridge for easy access)
- 2 heaping tbsp raw tahini
- 2 cloves of garlic (or more if you prefer a more garlicky flavour)
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt (or sea salt)
- 2 heaping tbsp nutritional yeast flakes Blend all ingredients in a blender or a Magic Bullet.
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning
- Mix in a jar and shake before serving.