Even though chiropractic has been a recognized profession for more than 120 years many people are still unaware how chiropractic can enhance the quality of their lives. Here is a short list of the benefits of chiropractic care.
1. Chiropractic care enhances and stimulates the immune system. Chiropractors earned the title of doctor after the First World War for chiropractic’s positive impact on the flu pandemic of 1918. One hundred million people died of the flu in the few months after the First World War. It was discovered that people who went to a chiropractor for the treatment of the flu had 1/40th of the death rate as compared to pharmaceutical management of the flu. A spinal adjustment stimulates the nervous system, which in turn stimulates the immune system.
2. Once the baby is born, gentle chiropractic care can help with the symptoms of colic in babies. During the birthing process a strong pull on the baby’s head can result in upper cervical spinal misalignments. This, then, can irritate the part of the nervous system that affects the stomach. Small gentle corrections can re-align these spinal segments thereby reducing the nervous system irritation and alleviating the colic.
3. Numerous studies and vast numbers of individuals have benefited from chiropractic in the treatment of low back pain. Misalignments in the lower spine are the most common source of pain and discomfort for people with lower back issues. Your doctor of chiropractic is the specialist in the re-alignment of the bones in the lower back.
4. Similar to the alignment issues of the lower back, most headaches are due to cervical spine alignment problems. The frequency and severity of headaches can be greatly alleviated through chiropractic treatments.
5. Shoulder and neck pain can be reduced by chiropractic care. Staring at a computer all day or even the daily stresses of life can tighten shoulders muscles. Aligning the spine reduces the mechanical stress on tissues. This will give the individual a greater sense of well-being.
6. Dependency on pain medication is often reduced for those experiencing chronic neck and back pain. Unlike pain medications, which mask symptoms, chiropractic care can help get to the root of the problem that is causing the pain in the first place. This will reduce the dependency on pain medications and the unwanted side effects of these medications.
7. Pregnant women can benefit from chiropractic treatments. Back pain is common in pregnancy because the mechanics in the lower back of the mother change as the baby develops. Chiropractic can correct spinal imbalances that may occur during pregnancy. Not only is chiropractic safe and effective during pregnancy, studies have shown that labour is shortened and less difficult for women who have had chiropractic treatments during pregnancy.